Monday, November 07, 2005

Thinking in circles...again.

I've recently discovered that I'm a walking paradox. Sometimes I think why we read books, watch movies, or gain knowledge by other meansto be accepted in society. It seems like society hasconformed me tothink that I can never be the best person unless I can look like what everyone feels is beautiful or act with grace and express wit. For me, intelligence lies on many levels.Why is my mind telling me I need to improve myself and absorb all the information I can so I can hang around with friends who I can look up to in awe as perfection? Then again, another side ofmy mind tells me that I don't need to conform and I should be who I am and be proud ofthe knowledge I have right now. Maybe society is wrong. I should be able to form my own ideals and be my own model. Perhaps I don't need to read books to be accepted in some social group I want to fit in. If some social group appeals to me because I feel it would improve the way others feel about me and treat me, is that wrong? Maybe I should be myself and not worry so much about what others think. In the end, it seems like my thoughtswalk in circles sometimes with desires and needs (acceptance in a certain group) fueling it. For now, the desires are overpowering. I know that the need to impress others and interact better with others will somehow benefit me in the end. I just think that I shouldn't let the fear of rejection get in the way of my happiness. Even if I don't know anything aboutEmerson or follow the news, I can still find people who will accept me and treat me as their friend; even if those aren't the kind of people I necessarily want as friends. I shouldn't be so prejudiced. This is one of those moments when I come out more confused after writing than I was before. I usually write to clarify everything, but some ideas just seem to backfire. :

1 Comments:

Blogger Smokey said...

Article on TN blogging
He's a piece I did for today's paper : New blood, new buddies and new business are some of the byproducts of an emerging and evolving world of web logs in Tennessee.
Find out how to buy and sell anything, like things related to road construction safety equipment on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like road construction safety equipment!

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home